Thursday, February 02, 2006

Katie's Koolaid Yarn


As I kept thinking about how I was going to go about my blog, I figured the best way to start was to write about my favorite project and I immediately thought of Katie's Koolaid Yarn. I dyed yarn as a Christmas present for my niece. It would have been more fun if we had done it together, but alas, we don't live in the same town. Or state, for that matter.

My niece is 9 years old. This past summer I went home to Michigan to visit and I taught her and my nephew Mikey how to crochet. I have been waiting years for this moment. My niece is the only girl as far as children go in my family. With her brothers and cousins, she's 1 for 6. Mikey (her cousin of the same age) is an extroverted dude who is willing to participate in anything. Together we made tons of bracelets, necklaces, headbands and bookmarks. To the uneducated eye they were just crochet chains but to them it was cool new stuff. And I like to think they had a cool bonding moment with their Auntie Annie - the cooky aunt who likes to poke sticks at yarn.

I don't know if my niece will keep up with her yarn doodling, but I have decided that it is my duty to keep her interested. Her grandmother taught her some knitting, and she knows a little crochet. I bought a box of Cascade yarn, had my mom send koolaid packets (I can't find them anywhere!) and set up my lab in the kitchen. I wish she lived nearby so she could stand on a foot stool and watch the yarn soak up the koolaid and help me pick color combinations. Everything smelled like koolaid and I felt gleefully 9 years old myself!

I sent it to her along with colorful knitting needles and gadgets and gear along with a photo collage of the yarn dyeing process. I may have gone a little overboard sending 5 balls of sweet smelling colorful yarn, but hearing her talk to me over the phone about the fact that she was worried that she had forgotten how to crochet - but then picked up the needle and yarn and it all came back to her - made it all worth it. Yarn is in her blood!

She summed it up quite succinctly in a note I later received: "Thank you for the koolaid yarn. It was very kool."

3 Comments:

Blogger sgeddes said...

Good luck on you new blog. It looks like you are off to a great start. Hope you can keep your neice interested in her new hobby. I like the lime green "spaghetti".

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait. My niece is coming to spend the weekend with me next week, and she say's she can't wait to learn how to crochet. It's really special to me, because I get to teach her something my mom, her grandma taught me. That yarn looks Great.

Necia

10:11 AM  
Blogger KNITWHIT said...

Omigosh. That's a wonderful story and even more wonderful memories she'll have for years and years. Where did you visit in Michigan? I live in Gaylord, MI, about 50 miles south of the Mackinac Bridge.

You're doing great on your blog. I started one last December, and I've just gone nutso with it. Take a look when you get a chance. It's a wonderful outlet and a great way to connect with other knitters.

Maureen
www.knitnoy.blogspot.com

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home