Saturday, February 25, 2006

No Agony in Da Feet


In honor of the 2006 Knitting Olymics, I model my fancy shmancy socks in my ice skating pose. Sasha Cohen fell and won the silver, but if she had these nifty socks, she could have fallen and gotten the gold. Like me.

My patience was tested with these socks. First it was the new challenge of knitting with 2 circs. Lesson learned, shorter ones work best, 20" to be exact. Leave the 30-something inches for the crazy baby sweater that was supposed to be knit years ago. Secondly, provisional cast on. Knittinghelp.com not much help on that one, but casting on with scrap yarn and frogging it later was easy and worked perfectly.

Best advice given to me was to knit both socks at the same time. Everything was done in tandem and kept me from 2nd Sock Syndrome. Oh but knit twists - ugh. It's not that they are difficult, just a pain in the ass. They look inconsistent (ok maybe that's just sloppy knitting) and add bulk to the pattern. If I ever make these socks again, I'll skip the twists all together.


The biggest challenge of course, was warding off the devil cat who has killer lust for Opal sock yarn. Lost a whole day of knitting because I had to rewind the ball of yarn she attacked. The only good thing was that the sock was strong enough to fight off Killer Kitten and came out of it all relatively ok. I figure that means they will wear well.


So here they are - gold medal winners Righty & Lefty, wearing Petticoat Socks designed by Veronik Avery from Weekend Knitting. I have them on now and I must say, handknit socks are indeed quite comfortable!

17 Comments:

Blogger chacha / Jen said...

They look fantastic! Great gold-medal performance!

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulation!!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Congratulations! They look great! I love how you took pictures, so funny!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Yeah! Great job! You give me sock-knitting hope. ;) They look gorgeous!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Great job! Congrats for finishing!

12:50 AM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

They're beautiful! I really love the color you chose. I kind of forgot that pattern was in Weekend Knitting... must revisit.

2:27 AM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Thanks for the pose! They're gorgeous. You deserve a golden bagel!

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are great socks!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Those are seriously sexy socks! I love 'em. :-)

2:30 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice socks. i love that color.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the gold! Great socks!

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks Great! Congrats on finishing!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Suza said...

Wonderful socks.....

and "wuff" from my golden-retriever Lara, who was "helping" me :-)

Greetings from a member of the german olympic knitter team :-)

Suza

8:27 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Bee-you-tee-ful!

You've *almost* inspired me to try sock knitting : )

12:46 PM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

They look amazing! Well done you - provisional castons can be really tricky. That's a whole load of new techniques and new skills - right in the Olympic spirit.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

Great job!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Those are incredibly gorgeous socks! Beautiful pattern and color, and fantastic knitting. Congrats!

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home