Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I Felt Smart For One Whole Day


I achieved gold in the Knitting Olympics. Yarn Harlot's Podium Ceremony made me feel talented. I was a Good Knitter. Until today.

See those needles? I am ready to poke my eyes out. I'm sure it's a stupid mistake. I might be tired. I might be hungry. (Wait, I am hungry!) I can't, for the life of me, figure this out. I am a huge advocate for reading a pattern stitch by stitch. The directions are in there somewhere! I know that what I have to DO is not that difficult, the way that it is WRITTEN is making my poor little head hurt. Yup. Not so smart anymore. Can SOMEONE please tell me what this means?

So, Flap-Top Mittens from Handknit Holidays. They are on DPN's. At this point in the pattern I have 48 sts on my needles.

The instructions read:

Prepare Flap

[K1, wrapping yarn twice around needle] 26 times; knit across to last 2 sts, repeat [ ] twice.

Note: It will look like you have a lot more sts on your needles now. For next rnd, using more than one spare dpn to hold slipped stitches makes it easier.

Next Rnd: [Knit next st, slip second loop onto a smaller dpn at front of work] 26 times; knit across to last 2 sts, repeat [ ] twice. Transfer slipped sts [loops] on spare dpn to st holders or waste yarn. Knit 2 rounds.

My questions are -

26 times meaning 26 stitches? Meaning I will end up with 52 stitches?

Knit across as knit the rest of the row, and what am I to do when I get to the last 2 sts?

And repeat HOW with WHAT? The flap doesn't go all around the mitten obviously, so what in the heck am I supposed to be repeating?

ACK. So I may be writing tomorrow about how embarrassed I am about not being able to work through the silliest thing ever. I hope that's the case. In the meantime, I will start my Jaywalkers AGAIN. I mentioned the part about not being smart anymore, right?

3 Comments:

Blogger Knittypants said...

This is just my guess, see if it makes sense. For the first 26 stitches in the row do the [K1, wrapping yarn twice around needle]. The knit the next 20 stitches normally. Then for the last 2 stitches of the round [K1, wrapping yarn twice around needle]. You should now have an extra 56 stitches from the yarn wraps. Doing 26 wraps on one side and 2 on the other is probably so you won't end up with ladders on your mitten.

Then on your next round you are knitting one stitch and slipping the next (which was the loop you made when you wrapped the stitch twice) onto another smaller dpn. You do this for the first 52 stitches, then knit the next 20 stiches normallly, then repeat the first set of instructions for the last 4 stitches.

This should set you up to finish the rest of the mitten on the original 48 stitches left on your dpns and then work the flap top on the 28 stitches that were created when you wrapped the yarn around your needle and then transferred to the smaller dpn.

That is how I would interpret the directions, but I don't have the book yet so I could be dead wrong. Hope that is helpful or that someone else has a better explanantion.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

That was exactly it! Thank you! Those last 2 stitches made NO SENSE yesterday, but today I see it perfectly. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there!

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home