Thursday, June 22, 2006

Have Yarn, Will Travel


It's the Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (by Joelle Hoverson) drawstring pouch and it is holding these:


The Padded Footlets that I *finally* finished last week. The hunky boyfriend and I are heading out to Akron, Ohio tonight to YARNSHOP visit YARNSHOP friends YARNSHOP and family. The Padded Footlets are a gift for his mom, and the bag is made out of leftover yarn from a scarf I made for her last year. I can't remember the name of it at the moment, but if anyone really wants to know I still have a skein of it here somewhere.


So here's what I am bringing, or atleast, my primary project. Orangina. I am loving the pattern. The lace is much easier than it seems and the yarn I am using is really nice to knit with despite being cotton. (I am in a rush, leaving in a couple hours, scroll down a bit if you want to know the name of the yarn. It's also a bit more shiny and green - dang camera.) My thoughts on this project go like this - as much as I like knitting this, doing a front and back on size us3 needles is going to be the death of me. So...after there is enough room for the arms, I am thinking of starting the front and again, after getting enough room for the arms, joining in the round under the arms instead of at the waist. That way I can guarantee a front and a back (can never guarantee a FO), I won't have Second Side Syndrome, and it will give me that extra 1/2" in size. Despite getting gauge, this top is turning out to be more form fitting than the pattern says. I am making the size small for a 34" bust. I have a 31" bust (sad, but true) and right now, with some blocking, this top will be 30". Ok so clearly there is a gauge issue or a cast on issue, whatever, I don't have time right now to pull out my calculator yadda yadda yadda, but the point is, I still like this top, and the ones that I have seen that look more form fitting look equally adorable and that's that. HOORAY!

As for adorable tops, I'm still loving my Green Gable. I was hoping to wear it in Ohio, but alas, I have not had a chance to rip up the hem and try again. Thank you all for your kind comments! I like all the Green Gables I am seeing (seriously, go check out the knit-along) and am now considering Picovoli. Thanks Areli, for tips on tubular bind off, I will experiment with it when I get home and post results!

Ta ta!

10 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

wow -- that is amazing! i would think the pattern would be written that way...is there something we're missing? and mine feels like it might be coming out smaller, too. i'm just going to wait and see...

hope to see you soon!

oh, and i plan to make the picovoli sometimes soon, too. have the yarn, too!

2:23 PM  
Blogger aija said...

WHat a great idea for a gift bag!

Have fun :)

2:49 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Your bag is so cute, it's such a great way to wrap up a gift. I am so excited to see your Orangina, it's a really pretty pattern, but I can see how the knitting of it could start to drag on.

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bag looks great, perfect giftwrap for the footlets. Hope your orangina goes well, you influenced me so much, I just bought the yarn and pattern (like I need encouraging). Just started picovoli last night, you must be sending some psychic brainwaves across the hudson. Have a great trip!

1:19 AM  
Blogger Hilde C. said...

The drawstring pouch looks great, that's serious giftwrap (if I got my presents in something like that, it would make me very, very happy :-)
Have a nice trip :-)

5:30 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

The bag and socks are fabulous, well done!

I'm very excited, I just waiting for my yarn to turn up for Picovoli - I'm very excited...

7:00 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Lovely bag! Excellent yarn choice.

10:44 AM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

love that little gift bag. its perfect to gift socks in.
:-)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Love the bag... it would be a great gift all on it's own! I'm working on Orangina, too, and really enjoying the pattern. Come to think of it, I have guage, and it's looking a bit tight. Hmmm.

12:34 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

I wish I had the "brilliant wrapping" sensibility, but I was born without it. I love the footlets in the drawstring bag. Gorgeous presentation, and what an amazing gift!

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home