Monday, June 12, 2006

Freedom!


The Padded Footlets are DONE.


Yes, they are a bit too big for me, but that is ok because they aren't for me. They are a gift. A very late gift due to a big mistake that I made with the second sock that then turned into a serious case of Second Sock Syndrome. But now they are done and I am FREE.


Pattern is from Interweave Knits summer 2005. I used Lorna's Laces in 'Cranberry'. I enjoyed the lace bits, and love the heel detail. The structure is fascinating but I really did not enjoy working on the double-stranded sole. It was a pain in the arse. I would use this pattern again but totally modify it, like make them regular socks having the heel detail going all along the back of the leg and skip the double-stranded sole. We'll see if that ever makes it back on to my needles...


For now, Green Gable is on my needles! I followed the knitalong's advice and used the backward loop cast-on. I wish I hadn't. It's not as clean looking as I had hoped, and should have stuck with my tried and true method (long-tail thumb method). Hopefully some blocking will fix that curling at the top. I tried it on and so far, so good! I am enjoying working on it, despite the mindless stockinette. It is a good social project, and good for early in the morning, or late at night when I'm barely coherent. Yarn is Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Plum Patina.


Where did that come from??? I keep asking myself the same thing! One day, I was browsing through the Sexy Knitters Club blog, and they had just finished their Orangina's. And then, everything went black and I woke up later that day with a bag full of Millefili Fine (receipt said I had gotten it on sale) and the beginnings of Orangina on my needles. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

WWKIPD NYC was a great success! We had over 40 knitters show up! If you are interested in reading comments and seeing the photos, you can do that here.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So everything went black huh? You are too funny. Can't wait to see yours! The padded footlets rock too! To bad you're gifting them, they look nice and comfy.

Necia

10:53 AM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

The heel detail is great.

10:58 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

As much of a pain as that sole was, I bet it's super comfy!

And blocking WILL take out the curl on the GG color. That's what I had to do with mine.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Brittany said...

Oh my I'm so proud of you that you finished those! I tried twice, but I gave up twice. That sole just was not fun.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

So nice! I have some Cranberry Lorna's in the stash. You're giving me ideas.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Hilde C. said...

Congratulations! Knitting the padded footlets seem to have been a torment for you - I'm glad you are finished and feel free :-)

5:03 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

free at last to unleash all those other projects! It looks very interesting.
And very interesting black out...
Great summer project

5:22 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Your socks look great, totally worth the wait. I think it's funny how Orangina just happened. Great color :-)

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite all the trouble, the footlets really look great! That orangina is tricky, at first sight I wasn't sure it'd be flattering on me, now more and more I'm lovin' seeing everyone's finished ones. If you "blacked out" then the yarn is really a pleasant surprise, so enjoy it!

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The footlets look so fantastic, despite all the problems with them you ended up doing such an amazing pair! Beautiful details! Your Green Gable is coming along so very fine too, and I had to laugh out loud when I read about how everything went black with the Orangina! :) Love the color - happy knitting!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Beautiful!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

One big smiley face on the FO report card! NYC friends leave tomorrow am, the Parisians show up tomorrow night. I have considered using my size 2 straights for something other than knitting...;)

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great footlets! I especially love the heel detail...very fab.

6:39 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Annie, you keep adding to my list of things I have to knit! The footlets look great, and I'm intrigued by Green Gables.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home