Thursday, May 25, 2006

Get Ready, Get Set, THREAD!


I wound the warp on the back beam last week, but haven't had a chance to thread the heddles and sley the reed. (So, yes, I am avoiding the second Padded Footlet.) My loom is a four shaft loom, and on those four shafts are those little metal stick thingys called heddles. Using a mapped out order, I have to take each 'end' (that's each individual warp yarn) and thread it through the eye on each heddle.


It's tedious, but everything is so organized that as long as you pay attention to what your doing it's satisfying. Once I get all the heddles threaded, I have to sley the reed. Basically, more threading.

Eventually I'll get to the weaving part. I have been knitting, though not the footlet. I can't show anything because one of the projects is for Project Knitaway and the reveal isn't for a couple of weeks. The other project is for my Secret Pal and I'm just not taking any chances. Green Gable yarn arrived and I need to test one more swatch (I get such wonky gauge with Cotton Fleece). I still want to cast on this weekend but I need to finish one of my other projects first. None of these projects look close to being finished. *sigh*

To be continued...

6 Comments:

Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Heddles and slaying...I think Dr. Seuss could have done a nice book on weaving :)

1:00 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Weaving looks like a lot of work! I like watching what you make though, looks like you're haveing lots of fun.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watching your weaving is fascinating. What an education! I'm checking in every day or two.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Damn the torpedoes and sley the reed! Full steam ahead...
sotto voce:
Um, have a nice weekend?

7:23 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

Weaving looks complicated, with lots of technical jargon. Just setting it up seems a big job. Wow.
Is it fun? relaxing? Can you get to the "alpha zone" as in knitting?

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm staring at your pictures in awe and amazement that you can understand such a complicated thing. I can't wait to see something beautiful created from all that threading (and to my inexperienced eyes even a simple rectangle would seem like a miracle!)

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home