Saturday, September 23, 2006

I Have a Craving!


I haven't been knitting much and it's been bumming me out. I feel bad for not feeling inspired, and I want some gratification for a project. But I have no idea what to make. And then I looked at my loom. My poor, abandoned loom. The weaving guild I belong to is starting up again and I am getting really excited. Morning sickness stopped all progress on the gamp. I am a little over half way done with it, so I jokingly said to a friend, "I'm thinking about cutting off the gamp and weaving a plain ol' scarf." She replied, "Why don't you?"


So last night I pulled out my box of color cards and started planning. I ordered some Kathmandu Aran in a lovely green for a very simple tabby scarf. I have always wanted to try a dishtowel, and keeping it again, plain weave and this time using Homestead Cotton, I decided to throw in a couple stripes of soft greens. (Much softer than my color pencils would allow.) I calculated and calculated and scribbled and furrowed my brow (this is a new craft for me after all, and I can't guesstimate like I can with knitting) and I think I got enough yarn. Probably too much. That's ok. It's pretty cotton.


So now I don't feel so bad about the plain garter stitch scarf. It's a lovely limey green, much more bright in normal light. (Knitpicks Andean Silk "Lettuce") There is definitely a green theme going on around here...

9 Comments:

Blogger Harlem Purl said...

Ooooooo my favorite color! I just tackled a lace shawl so garter stitch is sounding pretty good to me right now. Weaving always amazed me but I'm too broke, I mean thrifty right now to pick up another craft.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad it's not pink or blue or it could be your subconscious throwing you a clue! I also love green, and isn't it a great color when fall takes away all the summer brights?

6:51 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

no doubt, no doubt!- green- sure, things are growing here!
kathmandu Aran- wow, lovely tweeds, although I would have preferred NOT to see that!
and the Andean Silk is such a lush yarn- fiber combo is a winner.

10:31 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

I've been thinking about your "not feeling inspired" (it beats paperwork any-day!) and the answer is the log cabin blanket! mindless, yet needs planning a bit & fun colors and- the baby will need it!
now, what yarn to choose?
hmmmmm- soft, very soft, but WASHABLE!

1:23 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Don't fret about not feeling inspired. It'll come in it's own time. Your energies may be needed elsewhere now!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

You have got to check out 'Daphne's Baby Cape' in the 'Knit2together' book--it is too too cute. Congrats on seeing Harlot--what a treat!

3:15 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

I love that you're creating your own spring with fabric!

10:22 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Sometimes simple is exactly what you need. I think your scarf will be perfect!

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home