Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Plan


Gift of Friendship Scarf, Schaefer Anne yarn

Blouson pieces are blocking, so what better time to cast on for more projects? I was thinking that this year I wouldn't make any gifts. Truthfully, I'm not sure my recipients understand that I knit my gifts because I really do like to knit and am not some psychotic Martha Stewart type. Someone recently said to me that they didn't know what to get us for a baby gift since I had knit their son a sweater. Oh geez.

So no handknit gifts this year. Truth is, how much time do I have to make anything? That was my thinking sometime midsummer. And now here I am today, suddenly with a list of things I want to make as gifts. WHAT HAPPENED? Perhaps it was the last couple days which were cool and rainy. Fall is in the air. Oh crappidy crap. I have the best of intentions, and I think my long list of gifts comes out of thinking of the person and wanting to show how much I care through one of my favorite activities: twirling yarn with sticks.

How will I do it? Two important things I have learned since having a baby. First: be prepared as early as possible with a plan. Second: be prepared to ditch the plan. So, the most important gifts that I really, really think are truly necessary, they will be knit in September. Should they take longer to finish than anticipated, they will still be finished before the holidays. Next level of gifts will be knit between October and November. These recipients will most likely appreciate the gifts and find it neat that I made them, but won't be expecting anything so if I have to ditch, I won't look as lame as I'll feel about it. And December is for baby gifts. A baby gift can be given at any time, so not as much of an intense deadline. But somewhere between all those projects, there is a sweater for Cashew to wear to Rhinebeck, boot socks for me and a lace shawl before the end of the year. Did I mention that we plan on moving in November? Yah, that's were lesson #2 comes in. Something will be ditched. Ah well.

September - VERY IMPORTANT
Christmas Stocking for Cashew
Gift of Friendship Scarf
Log Cabin Socks

October/November - Would be nice...
Man socks (Nancy Bush?)
Calla Coasters

December - BABIES BABIES BABIES
Baby Blanket
Baby Socks
Baby Sweaters - possibly 3!!!

That list seemed a little longer in my head. I think that's because I look at my stash and say ooh, I wanna make this...I wanna make that... But this list is just gifts. For whom, you ask? Like I'm gonna tell you.

So there are a few more days left of August, a few more days left of summer. I have just a little bit more weaving to do on my loom, some tweaks on Blouson, and so close to being finished with all my squares for Babette. FO's by Labor Day! That's the plan, anyway...

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

You know what they say about the best laid plans...Is that the same schaefer anne that used to live under your pillow? Gift must be for a very lucky recipient.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great way to plan things out. I am still afraid to knit things for Christmas, usually the reaction isn't exactly what I was hoping for :-p, but I do have plans for a few small gifts that I think will be received well. I need to imitate you and plan when to knit them.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Hilde C. said...

Plans sound good - I always end up like a knitting maniac in December. Maybe I should try to follow your example this year, and actually make a plan.
I'm really looking forward to seeing Babette :-)

8:16 AM  
Blogger mle said...

wooohooo, you're on a roll! Hey, I think planning is a fun part in itself. Speaking of....I think I'll follow your lead and start putting some thought into my short gift list.

9:05 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

wow, blouson is already blocking?! you're amazing. i really wish i wasn't working all day. sounds like a good plan for the christmas knitting. i doubt i'll get to make anything this year!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Code Purl said...

Good plan. I knit a bunch of scarves once in September and felt so prepared once Dec. rolled around!

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moving so soon? Did they finally finish working on your terrace? Wow, you're bringing Cashew to rhinebeck? At least I will get to see her.

Necia

1:35 PM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

I love the friendship scarf and have downloaded it. I love making plans--I always feel in control...until they change.;)

8:24 PM  
Blogger Operakatz said...

I hear ya on the holiday knitted gifts thing...I'm making sweaters for my niece and nephew (nephew priority there as he "only" got a hat and mittens last year when everyone else got sweaters pretty much so he deserves a big piece. If I have time, Mom will get a vest. Everyone else is getting socks from the sock machine (the bonus is that since they take much less time, they might get 2-3 pairs apiece LOL) I want to have time to knit for ME...this year was supposed to be about knitting for me, but somehow I still managed to do more gifts, etc. than I intended... Heck, I might actually BUY a gift or 2 this year...

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home