Thursday, September 06, 2007

Clean Dishtowels


All this knitting really slows down my weaving. So this post is dedicated to my poor dishtowels, which have been finished for over a week and have been patiently waiting for their moment to show off. And seeing as these are my first dishtowels ever, I really need a moment to toot my own horn. Oh wait, I was writing as if my dishtowels were alive and had feelings... but who are we kidding.It's my blog and my bragging rights. Rock on!

So above is a photo of my Fibonacci inspired towels fresh off the loom. Kind of stiff looking. Kinda eck. But the beauty of weaving is similar to the thrill of blocking lace. Give them a hot bath and a hot iron and ta da!


They shrunk about 2 inches in length and one inch in width. They are much softer, though still burlappy. A little thick. And then I remind myself that they are handwoven dishtowels, not machine made towels from Williams Sonoma. That's right. Snuh-ap!

While admiring them, Hotty Hubby asked if we could actually use them. Use them? As flattering as I think it is that my very Hotty Hubby actually wants to sop up whatever dark, greasy whoknowswhatthatgoois with them, I am not ready to stain these towels. I promised him that I would make him his own set that he could trash with coffee grounds all he wanted.


Knowing that the fibers will bloom when washed, I was still nervous about my very obvious threading sequence remaining visible. See how the vertical lines in the towel are making their own little pattern?


After two hot washes and two tumbles in the dryer, everything bloomed just fine. The only thing that bothers me is that even after ironing, the fabric is very wrinkly, like a brown paper bag that was crinkled and that flattened out. I don't know why this is, perhaps it had to do with tension? Or the cotton used? Or my sett? I don't know. Overall, I am very happy with my first go at dishtowels and I look forward to making more. I have another warp for a different project ready to go and I am debating winding it on the loom and trying to bust out another FO before we move. Hmmm....

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

They are lovely! I would never have thought that weaving would bloom like lace. Very interesting!

And yeah, I wouldn't want those near coffee grounds either. ;)

8:12 PM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

I'm with you on keeping those very special towels in their virgin state. We have some with stains that people keep putting in the laundry even after I just washed them. Make a set in brown for the kitchen--it won't bug you so much. Anyway, congrats!

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I like the before and after shots. You must be feeling very proud :-)

8:26 PM  
Blogger RiverCitySTL said...

Beautiful! You have inspired me!

I would have used the "dont you even think about touching my handwoven towels" look. I love that look, its very useful!

8:29 PM  
Blogger mle said...

Oh so nice! That's amazing how the threads just tightened up like that!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Those turned out great!!

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice towels!
-Punkin

9:40 PM  
Blogger Harlem Purl said...

I just finished writing a post tooting my own horn and here you go doing the same. Must be Tooting Own Horn day (tee hee).

I love how they came out. When I finish a project, I like to stand back and admire my work thinking "Wow, I really made that with my own hands". I imagine that you did the same.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

Those are lovely!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Hilde C. said...

They're looking great - you definitively have to make others for ordinary use, these are too good looking :-)

12:26 PM  
Blogger lobstah said...

Those are so incredible! I really want to get a loom but I think my bf would kill me (seeing as we seem to move every 2-3 years).

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am actually swooning over your lovely towels! Just gorgeous!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Your towels look great! What kind of cotton did you use?

9:07 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

beautiful!

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE THEM!
They're beautiful. Of course,they should be crinkly...part of the charm, indeed. Perhaps they could be used as napkins with pottery dishes and a bouquet of black-eyed susans?
MOM
PS: Finnish family has been enjoying your blog. HELGA was especially thrilled about your Sock Story! Just picture her looking intently at the computer screen with whole family. : )

3:23 PM  
Blogger annmarie said...

I just love the elegant simplicity of them. :)

5:44 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

How beautifully simple - I can see why HH wanted to use them, he's scared that they'll get put away and never seen - he's proud of you!!

9:24 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

So. Beautiful.

I have some tea towels (as we call them over here) that belonged to my granny and I wouldn't let anyone mop up anything with them, but I do use them to dry dishes. I also have some antique French linen tea towels I found at a flea market in France once. I wish I could bring myself to use them but I just - can't.

Hope you enjoy yours whatever you choose to do with them! They are truly lovely.

9:44 AM  
Blogger lomester said...

you * MADE* those?! Holey Moley! wonderfully done - i want me some!

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home