Friday, February 01, 2008

I Shouldn't Be Surprised


With all my UFO's of '07, I find it hilarious that my first FO of '08 was started in '08. I present to you the Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmermann. Yarn is Brooks Farm Acero which I purchased at NYS Sheep & Wool Festival, aka RHINEBECK.

I admit, the first time I saw a BSJ, I though "eh." The second time I saw one I thought "hmmmm." And then the third time..."I wanna! I wanna!" To be honest, there are a lot of, shall I say, interesting yarn choices used for the BSJ. Since it is a very popular pattern, there's a whole lot of ugly out there. Thanks to Ravelry, I found myself coming around to this little sweater. It's all about the yarn! And the sweater looks adorable on. And now my friends, there is no turning back. I want to make more!!! Next on my list, a BSJ that will fit a baby.


It all started with my brother announcing that he and his wife were expecting. This little surprise came not so surprisingly early. Woulda, coulda, shoulda made this sweater in December as we all figured this baby would come early since their other two did. My niece arrived a few short days before Christmas, 2 weeks before her due date. But who am I kidding, the holidays were crazy and although this sweater took roughly a week to make, I could barely finish (and still haven't finished) Cashew's Christmas stocking in time for Christmas. Since my niece was born at a healthy 5lbs, I figured that whipping out a little sweater after she was born would be no problem. I had never made a BSJ before and as many of you know, there's no real sizing with this thing. I was slightly under gauge (first clue, duh) but I really thought it would be ok. (Denial.) Cashew stayed at a NB size for the first 2 months and she was 7 1/2 lbs at birth. Surely a 5lb baby would fit in this sweater even if my gauge was off a smidge. So I knit a little this way...knit a little that way, bada bing, badda boom I had a surprise jacket for a surprise baby.

Except one thing. My niece gained 3 pounds in a month. Woulda, coulda, shoulda remembered that all my sis-in-laws babies have gained weight right quick. This sweater fit like, last week. So. The Annie Knits BSJ remains a display piece for now and will perhaps someday be worn by another brand spankin' new baby. Or Cashew's doll. Whichever comes first.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friends and I were joking about our "disaster preparedness kits" that include finished baby knits, that we're ready to give whenever someone finds out they're pregnant!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Whew! For a minute there I thought you had run off with some he-man that was into sock. I started a BSJ years ago using a plush yarn--worst idea ever and it never got finished. I think that kid's in juvenile detention right now. Anyway, I love yours and the gorgeous color--thinking about #2???

7:59 PM  
Blogger Harlem Purl said...

I absolutely love the way your BSJ came out and I felt the exact same way about the pattern. I'm slowly but surely starting to fall for the lizard ridge afghan pattern but I'm really trying to fight the feeling.

As a matter of fact, I have to email the recipient of my BSJ to see if it fit.

8:39 PM  
Blogger mames said...

ooops! i saw the sweater on flickr (i think) and immediately googled the yarn. they have the acero in a worsted weight and in blues so now i am hankering to spend our hard earned tax dollars on enough for two BSJ or tomtens, cannot decide which. but that yarn, mmm, it looks delicious. as does the BSJ

1:02 AM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

Minty's "be prepared!" is hilarious!
the sweater is lovely, but if it does not fit the baby- any teddy bear worth its weight will adore it! it happened to me with one of my early knits.

7:15 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Awww, too cute! I agree, I've see some BSJ made in very questionable yarn choices.

10:42 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

It is adorable for sure, shame about the sizing issues. Although I'm sure there will be another baby among family/friends that will be able to use it :)

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey that's my baby :-)

I'm sure another baby will come along soon and you will be all prepared with a gift. But a teddy bear sweater is a great idea, too.

Can't wait to see version 2.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Hilde C. said...

I think your version of the jacket is beautiful - I love the colour you've chosen :-)

10:23 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Very cute BSJ. The more of these I see made with good yarn choices, the more I want to knit one.

At least baby knits always come in handy. Someone will have a baby!

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new niece, but too bad on the size. The yarn is really beautiful. I wonder if this pattern would work for a little adult cardi...

2:43 PM  
Blogger annmarie said...

Your's is a definite winner, girl. :)

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so pretty! Oh well about the size.

5:11 PM  
Blogger hope said...

I have made one yet but I want to. I love your choice of yarn. Can't wait - though I'm a little scared.

6:55 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

What a perfect little jacket - what a lucky baby!

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home