Thursday, May 18, 2006

Finished!


Done! Child's Placket-Neck Sweater from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. Size 6-12 months using Manos del Uruguay Cotton Stria in color 203.


I have made this sweater before and it is quite an easy knit. I have not used this yarn before, and though it makes a really pretty, soft fabric, it has absolutely no give (it is cotton, after all) and being Manos, there are no dye lots. So even though I bought enough to finish my project, the top half is different than the bottom half. Of course, I have used Manos before, I know to alternate the skeins every 2 rows. I must have had a brain fart, and with such a tiny project, I was not about to juggle yarn cakes anyway. But another thing I didn't care for with this yarn - my gauge differences showed. I have never run into this problem before, much less did I know that it could happen in this project. I have read that knitting in the round is a tad tighter than knitting back and forth. Well, it's true. I could have gone down in needle size once I got to the placket bit. Ah well. The piece washed well, and 20 minutes in the dryer and it evened out.

I have this sickening feeling that I am getting sloppy with my knitting. Too many projects, deadlines, unfocused knitting time. I need to get it together.


Speaking of which, the gauntlet is thrown. I haven't sat at my loom in weeks and I am itching to get going on my gamp. It's a huge sampler made out of simple carpet warp. The purpose is to learn just about every weaving pattern I can do on my 4 harness loom. Now the question is, do I remember how to wind on a warp?


Hila
doesn't tell me to join these things, but I blame her entirely.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the little sweater is adorable and very cozy.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

The top and bottom of the sweater don't really look all that different--no one but you will know, I think! It's a great color, though, and looks great. I'm interested to see where this weaving thing goes--I don't know muc about weaving at all, and it's intriguing.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

What a gorgeous baby sweater. I find the color really soothing, not too bright but not too babyish.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, where did u score those buttons? Did you know I can get Trekking locally, but I'm so not stopping after work to buy some.

Necia

4:14 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I got the buttons (well, beads actually) in France, woo hoo! You are SO stopping for Trekking and you are SO joining the KAL.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

The sweater is absolutely lovely! What a great color!

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater looks lovely! I don't notice any color changes, just an overall pale, variegated look that's very pretty. Great job!

6:55 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

The sweater is really cute, and the red buttons/beads finish it beautifully. don't worry about color variations or gauge for a baby sweater. If they don't cover it with spit, they out grow it! And besides, everybody always says how cute the baby is in the sweater. You'll be the only one thinking dye lots...
Trekk along, GREAT! besides- you already have the yarn!!! I have the perfect place to go hiking, very local.
:-)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

I need to crank out a baby sweater for SIL--thanks for inspiration! As for Hila and her KALs, if you lead a horse to water...luckily Trekking is one sock yarn I don't have!

10:41 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

It's lovely, I really like the colour.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Just wanted to answer your question to my blog! I used Lornas Laces Jungle Stripe yarn for the socks!

9:53 AM  
Blogger lobstah said...

I can't really see any difference in dye lots in the photos. This pattern has been very popular, and I can see why. It's so cute!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Thanks for your compliment on my shawl! The baby sweater is adorable – and I can’t notice any variation in the color at all!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I think your sweater looks great, and I don't notice any of the things you are talking about! How many skeins did you use? and did i ask this already? Sorry if I did, there's too much knitting information out there for me to sort through and remember anything...

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the color variation...so cute!

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the sweater looks very good, and I love the colour :-)

9:31 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Gorgeous sweater...I love the color combination. That's one of my favorite baby stuff patterns! I've never tried it in the Manos, but now I have to :)

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home