Monday, May 15, 2006

Secret Pal Questionnaire


1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Oh, I like a lot of stuff. Wool, cashmere, blends (wool/cotton, wool/silk, cotton/silk, etc) alpaca... Only thing I really don't like is pure acrylic, chenille and eyelash...or any novelty yarns really. What a yarn snob!

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

Straights and DPN's are kept in a pottery jar, circs are kept in this book like thing with plastic sleeves. I don't have many crochet hooks so those are kept in my WIP bag by the knitting chair.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I have been knitting for about 20 years. I would say I am an adv/intermediate. I think I could be more advanced if I wasn't kinda lazy.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

No.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

I have sensitive skin so unfortunately, bath products are out for me. Candles, I would say I am of the woodsy/vanilla/but not too musky world. Definitely not fruity stuff. Gosh I sound high maintenance. Maybe I am.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Nope. Weird, eh?

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I do a bit of crochet, I am a beginner weaver. (LeClerc 4 harness floor loom & Rigid Heddle loom are currently taking up more room than my stash) I dabble with felting (as in machine washing) and a little kool-aid dyeing. I would love to learn how to spin though I have no tools and no knowledge.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

Kind of all over the place. Have a thing for 80's music (Devo, Pat Benatar, Irene Cara, hell, everything) - reliving my youth, I guess. My ipod currently has White Stripes, Strokes, Death Cab for Cutie, Joggers, Killers, Bravery, Cat Power, Ruth Brown, and Patsy Cline always has a place in my heart. I do not have a stereo, but my computer plays CD's.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

My one true thing would have to be the color green. I tend towards earthy colors - but like them to be vibrant, too. I refer to them as "dirty" colors. Dirty orange, coral, teal, rust...yum. Vibrant, but dirty.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I live with my boyfriend and our 3 crazy cats.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Love scarves and hats. Don't wear mittens all that much, but love them just the same. Don't wear ponchos as much anymore.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I tend to do small things (I'm a public knitter - subways, parks, cafe's, can't be poking people and must be easy to transport) plus I think I have a bit of knitting ADD so I go for small and quick. Lots of hats, fingerless gloves, baby clothes, socks, etc. I am actually trying to change this small project habit.

13. What are you knitting right now?

Padded Footlets, plain socks, socks of my own design, child's placket-neck sweater, small bag, fleurette lace coasters...will soon cast on Sunrise Circle Jacket and perhaps Somewhat Cowel...must...knit...faster...

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Circular. (See public knitter above) I am an Addi-Turbo girl, but I do appreciate a set of nice, wooden needles. Would eventually like to own some Lantern Moon needles, but I rarely work on straights. Only if they are on the shorter side.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yes. One of the better sets of tools I ever purchased. Hooray for yarn cakes!

17. How did you learn to knit?

My Grandma taught me.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?

Uh, 2-3 years I think. I have no intention of finishing. It's just sitting there.

19. What is your favorite holiday?

Hmmm. I guess Christmas.

20. Is there anything that you collect?

Besides sock yarn? I am always on the look out for children's books about knitting. So far I have two. I think they capture the meaning of a handknit gift (and the act of knitting) beautifully.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Yarns - what is this Socks That Rock stuff? And I ordered some Bearfoot stuff. I am always looking for cool sock patterns. I get Interweave Knits and Handwoven magazines.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

I'd like to work on my fair-isle, and would like to try some entrelac and mitered squares. I plan on doing the CYCA correspondence teacher certification program this summer, so hopefully I will get to try some new things.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yes! Hooray for socks! I wear a size 6.5 shoe. Circ under calf is 10.5", circ of foot at widest part is 9.5". Length of foot is 9 1/4".

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

05/11

I am looking forward to a summer of secret pal-ing! WOO HOO!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

You wicked little monkey--Happy Birthday! I'm keeping your foot size handy in case I ever botch a pair of socks for my gunboats.These questionnaires are very informative. I have a couple of extra questions: Chassagne Montrachet or Meursault? Inny or outtie? Continental or American?
Dyeing self-striping yarn--be very afraid.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A belated Happy Birthday, Annie!

This is going to be fun. :-)

10:32 PM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Sock KAL in the works--any ideas for a name/title?

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home