Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I'm on FIRE!


Fresh off the needles after roughly 4 hours knitting time (woo hoo!) Calorimetry from the winter issue of Knitty. I love gifts that are easy and quick to make. Yarn is from my stash, Manos del Uruguay in color "D" which I believe is also called Spruce. It's a wonderful deep blue-green. I really like how this turned out.


There has been some discussion on the pattern being written incorrectly for the samples shown in the photographs. So following other knitterly advice, I modified the pattern. I cast on 100 stitches, did short rows until I had 30 stitches on either side of the stitch markers and then came back the other way to make a headband that is about 5.5 inches wide and 16.5 inches long, unstretched. The pattern is very easy and the unwrapped short rows give many button hole options. I will definitely make this again.


Another gift! Yep, it's a Nosewarmer. A friend asked me to make this for his girlfriend as a little gag gift. I took some leftover Koigu from my stash and 1.5 hours later I learned a new technique for starting a toe-up sock and had made something absolutely ridiculous! Hooray!

Now if only I can knit up my other gifts this quickly.

10 Comments:

Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

the neck warmer is lovely!
for a minute I though the nose thingy was for Rudolf...

9:59 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Go you!! Great way to use stash yarns! Thanks for the mods on Calorimetry! :)

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I want to make one of those earwarmers also. The nosewarmer looks like a great way to use up stash!

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wooooooooooooo HOoooooooooooooooo. Go Annie, Go Annie!

Necia

12:30 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Yeah for fast knitting! Thanks for sharing what you did with the Calorimetry - I'm planning on making that one after christmas sometime!

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that really is ridiculous--and so nicely made! koigu? new techniques? we should all be so lucky as to be asked to make such frivolous gifts!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

That is such a cute little nosewarmer. Such a silly gift, but I bet I can think of a few kids who would really appreciate it.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Harlem Purl said...

a nose warmer, how cute!

7:07 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Ooooh what fun! You ARE on fire!

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know there are mods for Calorimetry, since I've been eyeing that one.

Koigu---now that is some luxurious accessory for your nose! :)

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home