Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I *heart* Yarn


Section 8 of Curlicue. Slow going.

I have been thinking a lot about stash. There is this knitter in my knitting group named Penelope. Sadly, blogless. *cough* More shocking, stashless. *HACK* Fantastic knitter. How could she possibly be without a stash? And then I realized that every time I see her, she has on a handknit sweater. Handknit socks. Handknit mittens. And then it occurred to me - SHE KNITS! I mean, really. She actually knits. How many sweaters do I have? Uh, one. How much yarn do I have for sweaters? A lot.


Falling Leaves. Love. Slow going.

So every time I see her, I pester her. I have discovered that she likes to shop for yarn online. She has her credit card number memorized. Yet she possesses this ability to say (and obey) "Walk away from the yarn and no one gets hurt". So there's this other knitter in my group - Hila. If I spend an afternoon knitting with her, I find myself buying yarn. (It's not really her fault. It doesn't take much to be an enabler.) This past weekend, I was knitting with Hila. I got home, went to my computer to look up Trekking Natura and bam, there I was with 4 skeins in my shopping cart. "Walk away from the yarn and no one gets hurt." Why did I need four skeins? Well, I want to make socks for hotty hubby. I'm not sure what colors he might like. They all look nice. Can't hurt to have extra skeins. Can't hurt? That phrase is the means to a stash explosion. I quickly closed out the screen.


Threading the heddles. Doesn't hurt my hands. Slow going anyway.

When shopping for clothes, one holds them up in front of the mirror and says "I think I will wear this here and for this occasion and I will feel great and this will make me happy." We try on a life we hope to have. My stash is about knitting I hope to do. So my little hobby of poking yarn with sticks has become an example of how one can forget to live in the moment. (Are you following me?) I am not making any plans to stop buying yarn. (Hello, 12 steps, not one giant leap.) But I am thinking about being happy with what I am working on now and feeling the satisfaction of completion, instead of jumping ahead to that next, someday soon, project. Of course my hands are so DAMN SWOLLEN that the idea of completing a couple rows makes me giggle like a little girl. I have no choice but to stare at my current projects and face the reality of buying more yarn. I simply can't try to knit any faster!

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Wannabe said...

Speaking of yarn...I got the box of Cotton Fleece. Thank you so much. It's just perfect!

2:20 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

oh god, my hands are swollen too! and they ache :( ugh. the water retention just has to go!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Hilde C. said...

On the other hand, it's better to have a lot of plans, than no plans at all :-)

3:41 PM  
Blogger knitannie said...

It's like you read my mind. I have just bought the yarn for another project even though I have 3 on the needles, which is so unlike me. Why can't I be satisfied with what I am knitting now? Grass is always greener?

6:12 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

I'm liking your thought process. I've been feeling the same way and even feeling BAD about looking at yarn!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

My husband said to me the other day that he would like a new pair of hand knit socks. I was very touched and told him how happy I would be to knit them for him and did he want to come to the yarn store with me to pick out yarn - when he realized that I would need to BUY MORE YARN, he said that I didn't need anymore yarn and the socks could wait...honestly, not NEED more yarn, men!

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m in the process of doing some massive ring maintenance for the FiberArts Bloggers ring and I am contacting you because you're missing you ring code. I will go ahead and e-mail you the basic ring code now, but if you don’t get it please let me know.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns. Once you have your code up, and/or have posted, if you want to send me a note I’d appreciate it, so I can get you back into the ring that much faster. Thanks!
Joni
joniknitsATgmailDOTcom

11:08 AM  
Blogger misplacedpom said...

I think buying yarn has become my bag of candy or my swift pint og beer. It's a little pick me up for whenever I'm feeling grumpy or sad. Does that make it as unhealthy an addiction as the other options? Maybe, but a) it doesn't make me fat, b) it doesn't pickle my liver, and c) it makes me happy to have so many creative options at my finger tips.

Speaking of which I just found a website with some rather spectacular sales....

2:19 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

buying yarn is fun!!!
check out this link to mittens like the fun ones you had the other day
http://www.helloyarn.com/wp/?p=425

2:26 PM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Oh fine, blame Hila! Actually, I think we're all pulling back a bit(swollen digits or no) and just plowing through the stash. Sometimes...I find stuff...I forgot about. Yipes.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get that loom threaded!!!! YAY!!!
Yes--buying yarn is fun!! But you know I am finding that using yarn from my stash is really fun!! I have not bought any yarn since the new year and that is a BIG accomplishment for me. (I think I was buying something weekly.)

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaah the peer pressure! I may yet get a blog. I did buy yarn (Whee)for socks for my husband--Schaefer Anne no less. And I went into this store in Baltimore that is a teaching store, not really a yarn purveyor. My kind of store--learn how to knit more without stuffing your stash! I guess I just get the high from finishing and item and can't bear the pressure of the possibilities of stashed yarn!

All good yarn things right back at ya!

Penelope

8:54 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Excellent post. My weakness is yarn on clearance! This, I cannot resist. Plus, being short on money usually, I figure that at least I have yarns to chose from when I'm ready for a new project.

Your knitting, BTW, is wonderful.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home