Sunday, March 25, 2007

Fallen in Love


Thank you to everyone for welcoming our little Cashew into the world! I was so touched to look at my last post and see over 40 comments!

So to catch up...It's been a crazy week! The joy over having this little person in our world has been something I never could have anticipated. It is truly thrilling.


Here she is wearing her Baby's First Tattoo sweater. Gee, Hotty Hubby isn't convinced that he's the father. HA!


I promised my birth story so if that's your thing, keep reading. If not, here is the latest photo of Falling Leaves. I was 2 rows away from finishing and I jokingly said to Hotty Hubby, "I bet I'll finish these, wash and block and leave for the hospital!" As you can see from the fact that I ditched these mid row, the contractions simply got too intense and the socks had to wait!

So Wednesday, March 14, I started feeling contractions. They weren't too painful, but they clearly weren't Braxton Hicks. They started coming regularly and we could time them. A call to our doula to tell her what's going on and then...they just disappeared. Well, a good night's rest would be nice, and maybe they will start up again.

Thursday I woke up in disbelief. Nothing. I had an appointment with my holistic chiropractor so hotty hubby accompanied me and she worked on some accupressure points and checked my body's alignment. Everything looked good so I went home and sent hubby back to work. Around 1pm I started getting contractions again, but about an hour apart. As they started getting closer together, more calls to the doula. And then...nothing. Good grief, I was having False Labor. There's nothing really false about it, it's more like labor with training wheels. A little bit of labor followed by a break. The break is nice, but geez, after awhile you just want things to get going!

Around midnight I tried to go to sleep, but I kept thinking I should take a bath to help me relax. I woke hubby up and asked him to help me. (Hugely pregnant and a tub full of water is tricky and quite honestly, quite comical!) Tried to sleep... 2am I woke up to a strong contraction. 2:15 another one. I got up and waited. Another one but this was the first one that truly made me catch my breath. I woke up hubby and the contractions kept coming. A call to the doula, more contractions, more calls to the doula...we stayed up all night timing. They were 5 minutes apart, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes even as long as 30.

Our doula encouraged us to eat and rest, and we tried. I had an appointment with my OB to check my blood pressure in the afternoon. I called to let the doctor know what was going on and they said to definitely come in. And then about 20 minutes before my appointment something changed. A searing contraction. ANOTHER call to the doula but this time she finally said "I'm on my way!" Hubby and I grabbed our coats and made our way outside. Of course it was freezing cold and sleet and slush and ugh. I live 9 measly blocks from the hospital and no cabs. Searing contractions. Should we walk? Thankfully a cab pulled up and we grabbed it!

Into the doctors office we go - imagine a waiting room full of couples in various stages of pregnancy and here comes the hugely pregnant woman gripped with searing contractions. I probably terrified all those people! It wasn't like I was screaming my head off, but I could tell I was the freak show in the room. Anyway, my doctor examined me and I was 4-5 centimeters dialated! He told us to head on up to labor and delivery! Our doula met us in the hallway and by 3:30pm I was dealing with full on labor. I wanted as natural a childbirth as possible and even though the pains of contractions are no joke, I had the support of my excellent doctor, my doula, the nurse and my husband. (Of course having the mouth of a sailor and swearing with gusto helped me deal, too.) Soon I felt the urge to go to the bathroom and announced to everyone that I HAD to go. The nurse said "WAIT!" and grabbed the doctor for another exam. 9 centimeters! The doc let me start some pushing for relief and to hopefully break my water. It worked, my water broke! After pushing in a sort of kneeling position for awhile, I was getting frustrated and wanted to see my baby. It was suggested that I switch my position so I tried laying on my side. I never thought this would work but all of the sudden there I was in the final push! Amazing how simply changing position can put everything in place. I could hear the baby's heart beating strong on the monitor and one more push... there she was being placed on my chest! I looked down and saw these little eyes looking at me and her little nose and fingers and felt the weight of her body. We just stared at each other and then she looked back at her Daddy. The most euphoric moment of our lives!

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Ewe said...

What a great start to a wonderful new family!

11:43 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Wow, that sounds like a whirlwind. She's beautiful. Congratulations again.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Wow. A beautiful birth and a beautiful baby. Congratulations to you, HH, and of course, little Anastasia.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

I think getting teary eyed while reading blogs is becoming a normal occurance for me. Thank you so much for sharing! And the similar hairstyle of daddy and daughter is just too cute for words.

She's just beautiful!

8:57 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Wow! that is so amazing! I'm glad everything went well. Looks like she might have her dad's hair! how cute!

9:05 AM  
Blogger annmarie said...

Although it's been almost 20 years since the last time I went through labor, your story brought it all back with good memories. Congratulations to you and your family. :)

9:55 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

She's just too cute! Congratulations again, what a great birth story.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for birth!! It all sounds like it went so smoothly (I know...you had to be there!)

I love the hairstyle on dad and baby!

Now back to some serious knitting!! hehe

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful story!
From all the birth stories I have heard it sounds that you did great.
Congratulations to the beautiful family!!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Harlem Purl said...

Awww. What a wonderful birth story. Almost makes me want to have another one (notice I said almost).

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading your birth story! Yay! I was waiting to read if you fondled yarn to soothe yourself during contractions!

Penelope

12:08 PM  
Blogger misplacedpom said...

Birth stories scare the crap out of me, but yet the final product seems so worth it! It's good to see you make it out the other side with your sense of humor intact.

She just gets cuter every day :)

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely story. Steve and I are also going to have a natural childbirth and it is so nice to hear something other than the usual horor story. She is so beautiful and it looks like hubby is already smitten!

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is so pretty, and she does look like her dad. Great hair!

Wonderful birth, I just love hearing good positive birth stories :-)

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'm hard core enough to be knitting AT ALL during any sort of labor.

Congrats again!

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats glad everything is going good.Your baby is beautiful!

9:48 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

you still kept your sense of humor! you are amazing!
dad looks very pleased!
:-)

1:44 PM  
Blogger Hilde C. said...

I can really understand that you've fallen in love - she's so sweet :-)

5:39 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

No question who the father is! LOL!
They have the same hair!
What a precious little one! Enjoy her,
and happy knitting,
ali

11:52 AM  
Blogger Sssarahevt said...

Ohhh Ohhhh congradulations!!!!!!! One day I'm looking at your knitting, the next your a Momma!! She is sooooo cute, you two are so lucky and I can't wait to see more baby pics! PS- love the mohawk in the first pic!

6:35 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Yay for natural childbirth! Thank you for sharing your birth story...it's beautiful. I hope everything is going well for you and your family. Sleep when you can!!!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy and excited for you Anne-Marie!!! She is so beautiful just like her mommy and daddy.
Love you guys!
Linda

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the part whe you said you could tell you were the freak show in the office, You're so funny
A-M!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Elinor said...

What a great story - congratulations again! She is just magnificent!!!

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home