Monday, May 07, 2007

Secret Knitting Makes Me Giddy


At last, the Sit n' Knit Sock Exchange! My secret knitting is finally revealed. First, the packaging. All part of the fun, me thinks. My "Secret Feet" likes black, gray and red...


So of course I found a box that is black and white so the red will pop. Of course, of course.


The pattern - Grumperina's Roza's Socks from Interweave Knits Spring 2007. Koigu KPM in color 1110. I pretty much followed the pattern as written. I used us2 needles to make sure they were nice and stretchy. Maybe too stretchy? I figure it's better to go a tad big than a tad small.


The look on Hila's face when she opened the box made me all warm and fuzzy. She whipped off her sandals and put the socks on immediately.


WOO HOO!


And just to prove that I really did knit them ... here's a photo from our daily walk to Charles Schurz Park. Cashew sleeps, I knit.

Being a Sock Exchange, I didn't just knit for someone else...


Chanin made me a pair of Monkey socks! LOVE! I have been eyeing this pattern so I am absolutely delighted. The yarn is Koigu though I am not certain of the colorway.


I put them on immediately (with one hand, thankyouverymuch), wore them all day and all evening. I took them off right before I went to bed. Now they are waiting to be washed so I can wear them again. Thank you, Chanin!

I wasn't sure how I would end up liking a sock exchange. Wouldn't I feel bad if someone complimented me on my socks and I couldn't say that I knit them? (Ego, anyone?) In the end, I didn't feel that way at all. We all want our recipients of hanknits to "ooh" and "ahh". This was a guaranteed audience. We all understood the skill that went into knitting so it was a fantastic display of talent with complete appreciation. Definitely doing this again! (If you want to see photos from our little party, you can find them here.)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Harlem Purl said...

Thanks for hosting such a great event. I can't wait until the next one (hint, hint)

11:22 AM  
Blogger A Crafty Lawyer said...

Your red Roza socks are beautiful -- I'll have to go back to IK to look at the pattern. I'm going to be in NY at the end of the month, and am planning to stop by Purl to pick up some Koigu. I love the fact that they carry the solid colors -- all I can find locally are the multi-colors.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great socks, both given and received.
Your exchange sounds like so much fun, and I love the picture of you knitting and cashew sleeping in the park. Precious :-)

12:27 PM  
Blogger mle said...

Wow, gorgeous socks! You did well...in the giving and the receiving!!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks, both pairs! I think I just bought that Koigu colorway, or one close to it (#517).

And that baby blanket in the last post is just amazing, nice work Blanketeers!!

4:09 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

LOVE my socks. they are fab! I loved the whole thing. the exchange (shh, secret...) the knitting the party and the receiving. what's there not to like? when is the next one?

5:21 PM  
Blogger Hilde C. said...

Sounds like your Sit n' Knit group is great :-)

2:49 PM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

I love the look on Hila's face! Wow, monkey socks AND a baby blanket. Now is that knittin' love or what?
P.S. Anastasia Marie is the most wonderful fairy tale princess of a name.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home