Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pity Party


Friday morning I woke up feeling like hell. No sleep, a head filled with fog. I had been in denial for 2 days. I couldn't possibly have a cold, I have a power immune system! But considering that for the last couple of weeks the words "lacking", "in need of" and "sleep" found their way into every other sentence coming out of my mouth, I finally crumbled. Just in time for Rhinebeck.

Hotty Hubby, Cashew and I made our way up to Rhinebeck late Friday afternoon. After getting Cashew settled, I crawled into bed, downed whatever homeopathic remedies were considered safe for a breastfeeding mum and used up every tissue available to me. Somehow I managed to work 2 lace repeats for Juliet. But that's it.

We have hardly traveled with Cashew. And where as we know things are different, and we need to plan and be incredibly organized, the words "lacking", "in need of" and "sleep" once again took their toll. We were running late for everything! We were spending the weekend in Rhinebeck to attend a friend's wedding, so we figured we'd spend the morning at the Sheep & Wool Festival and then make our way back to the hotel to get ready for the wedding.

Ha ha.

We did make it to the Festival, but not until about noon, which left me an hour and a half to yarn shop, meet fellow Ravelers and play Blogger Bingo. Stuffing my pockets with tissues and doing my best not to get anyone else sick (People whom I recognized tended to hug in glee, I am really, really sorry if you caught my cold.) I just started walking up to random groups of people and saying "I'm Annie Knits!" Knit Bloggers looked at me, looked at their Bingo cards and shrugged. They all had the other Annie Knits. I didn't meet one person who had me on their card!


Desperate to walk away from Rhinebeck with at least something other than a pocket full of snot rags, I decided to splurge on this Qiviuk blend lace weight. It is just lovely. Expensive. Lovely. It was my only purchase on day one. Feeling pressed for time and stressed, I frantically shopped a few other booths and I pushed into crowds of people and grabbed and searched in desperation but I felt nothing. (TRY, Morales, all alone!)

Hotty Hubby however, had an excellent time! The cheeses, lamb barbecue, cider doughnuts, venison... When we met up to make our way out of the fairgrounds, he says to me "We are SO coming back tomorrow!"

Ok. Twist my arm.

Since I was so depressed and disappointed after day one, I decided day two has to be better. So I dug right down to the bottom of my soul, and I tried...to shop!


With Hotty Hubby and Cashew as my collective muse, I found the best medicine for my sniffles. I knew I wanted mostly solids, and I paid more attention to fiber content. Oh, I am so happy! There's yarn for sweaters for Cashew, socks for Hotty Hubby, socks for me, yarns to weave with, yarns to pet, delightful! (If you really want to know specifically what all those yarns are and what vendors I visited, I summed it up here.)


And even though Cashew may never enjoy knitting the way I do, and I don't expect her to, I couldn't help but giggle as she smiled in glee as she squished yarn at her first Sheep & Wool Festival!

Despite "lacking", "in need of" and "sleep", we had a great time.

17 Comments:

Blogger mle said...

Awwww! well, I'm glad it all turned out okay in the end...you really scored some gorgeous yarn!! What a cutie Cashew is!

8:50 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

great haul!! cashew is so very cute :)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Ahhh! Too cute!!! She'll be a knitter yet.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwww Annie, I hope you're feeling betterr! It was GREAT seeing you, but I so wish I got to see your little Cashew in person. You made some nice purchases, in some very nice colors. Good job!

Necia

10:51 AM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

I hope you're feeling better! Sorry you had to go to Rhinebeck (and your friend's wedding) sick... but Cashew sure looks thrilled that you did : )

11:18 AM  
Blogger Harlem Purl said...

I was wondering why it seems as if you just appeared out of nowhere then dissapeared just as fast.

I usually get sick around events liek this so I was all chocked full 'o echinacea & OJ for like the whole week. I'm surprised you didn't buy a wheel. Next year you'll have to hang around with me. You know NYC apartments are no good until they're filled will stuff so why not stuff your diggs with a wheel, huh?

11:56 AM  
Blogger Code Purl said...

Sorry you weren't feeling well. I'm glad things picked up for you on day 2. That's what weekend long festivals are for! That pic of Cashew with yarn is just precious.

12:21 PM  
Blogger lobstah said...

So sad to be sick! :( Sounds like you had a sense of humor about the whole thing though (at least in retrospect, I suppose). I really got a chuckle about your husband having way more fun than you!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I hope you are feeling better! Cashew is such a doll, look how happy she is with her yarn!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Get well soon!

Cashew has that wild look of the Fiber Fever. I think she's going to be a crafty girl.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

How did it happen? Just when I thought that Cashew could not get any cuter, now we have cute Cashew with squooshy yarn! Awwww!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Sorry to hear about being sick, that sucks. Hopefully you're all better now.

Shoot! I can't believed I missed seeing you guys both days. Total bummer.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look how big she's getting! Soooo cute!

9:32 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Fantabulous haul! It's good knowing that you, even while sick, can rally and buy some kick ass yarn.

The Cashew is too cute. How'd you get such an adorable baby? Is there a pattern out there somewhere? Pelvic exercises I should be doing?

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your little pile of yarn.

Cashew is adorable, what a quirky little grin.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

I hope you're feeling better and I'm glad you managed to rally long enough to enjoy a little Rhinebeck.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

awwww, look at that silly grin! So cute! I had a cold that weekend and was too sick for rhinebeck this year what with the train to meet the friend with the car and the drive and the wandering outside. I spent the day at home dreaming about wool and finishing the sweater that I was supposed to be wearing to the festival. Next year!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home