Friday, February 29, 2008

3 Strikes


After a long day of changing poopy diapers, cleaning up food that has been flung and stepping on toys and books, I look forward to an hour or so of evening knitting time in front of the tv. After kissing Cashew goodnight, I quickly put away her toys, turn on the tv and grab my knitting. Ahhhh.

A perfect tv project is Cashew's sweater. It's based on the February Sweater and the EZ "taming with percentages". Round and round I go with stockinette, stopping every few rows to take measurements. Wait, did she just say "stopping every few rows"? Surely something is up if she has to keep taking measurements every few rows. Could she have a case of Knitterly Denial?

Yes. The sleeves are HUGE. My calculations for increases under the sleeve opening were correct. Just not for a sweater for a soon-to-be one-year-old! So I hooked up that sucker to the ball winder and ripped as fast and painlessly as I could. But now there are stitches to be picked up and provisional cast-ons to be fiddled with....gah. I'll work on my socks.


Ok, fresh off of Knitterly Denial, I am catching this one early. The yarn? Lovely. The pattern? Lovely. The yarn and the pattern together? Not so much. Plucky Knitter yarn knits up beautifully, but perhaps not so good for stranded work like Minty's Leyburn Socks. The yarn is fluffing up where left unknit. I have barely begun the sock and the strands are quite fluffy which means the yarn will be destroyed by the time they make it to full sockdom, much less worn. Back to the Ravelry queue I go.... maybe Nutkin... but it's tv time! Surely there is something I can knit right now!


Dude. Lace and the weigh-in on the The Biggest Loser do not go together. Did I insert a life line first? No! I was desperate to knit! This project is meant to be worked during day light hours with a fresh brain after a meal and a reasonable amount of coffee. Somewhere before the adorable stitch marker by Harlem Purls there is yarnover mayhem. It's fixable, but after 3 strikes I think the best thing to do is just take a time out.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger mames said...

hmmm, i thought lace and being a parent did not go together at all. at least not with my brain, yet. i hope to bite of a wedding shawl due in october, maybe after their first birthday. because that will significantly change things, right? and suddenly i will be able to knit lace again. right? i really love the color of the third strike. i will be following along in the next inning to see how it goes (okay, need to stop writing).

1:02 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Let me just suggest the Nutkin pattern. It is so simple to do in front of the TV -- trust me! It is simple and interesting and cute as hell too!

1:08 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

No no no. You've got it all wrong. You need to cast on for the most complicated project you can possibly think of--maybe one of those incredibly intricate Alice Starmoore sweaters with 10 colors in one row or something. After you work on that for awhile, then everything else will seem really easy. See? Tricksy.

Or you could just knit some Nutkins. If you want to be a wuss or something.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes you've had some week. and i see you haven't closed on the apartment still???

5:11 PM  
Blogger mle said...

Oh yes. I've been there! All you want to do is get some simple knitting done and BAM, all of the sudden nothing is working out.
My advice (or what I usually do)...keep casting on until something works out. LOL!

6:14 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, dear. Yes, I've had this problem before. No suitable project at knitting time. Ugh. Sometimes I just wind balls of yarn so I don't end up messing something up. The lace is lovely, though!

6:35 PM  
Blogger misplacedpom said...

You know what you should do? You should take Sudafed, it's ace. Then knit a stockinette everything for the next three weeks. It's working for me, nothing is going horribly wrong with any of the boring stuff I'm cranking off the needles :)

The sweater is such a pretty colour!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it terrible when WIP and tv don't play nice together? I hope you work on some Nutkin just cause I love that pattern. :)

That Plucky Knitter colorway looks beautiful! Sorry it's not cooperating with the pattern.

11:50 AM  
Blogger limonene said...

Sorry that it was just one of those knitting days. At least you caught the Swallowtail thing early. It's definitely fixable (Isn't it great how forgiving lace is?).

That Nutkin pattern is really cute! I think it'll look really nice with that yarn.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I hate when yarnover mayhem strikes. I hope you've been able to fix it and keep going!

Maybe some very simple stockinette socks for TV watching, or something that will be felted, so les than-perfect knitting will isappear in the felting?

This is really stupid, I can hardly believe I'm writing it, but if youknit something to felt, it will start out big and end up way smaller, just like the folks on The Biggest Loser! (Which I have grown to enjoy, actually. I really admire each of the contestants and feel bad when one leaves each week.)

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home