Saturday, February 09, 2008

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it...

After having a baby, I find myself constantly juggling. My goal is always to make the most efficient use of my time while enjoying my new role as a mamma and still holding on to the part of myself that is familiar. I love to work out and have always been active. Having not slept well in over a year (I know, I know, it doesn't really get better) it is with great desperation discipline that twice a week I go to the gym in the early morning.

Going to the gym in the early morning is not my favorite thing to do. It's too early, I'm too tired, too cranky but by golly, I want my flat, post partum ass to be a muscular, flat, post partum ass so off I go. I have always enjoyed people watching and the gym is usually a great place to do such an activity. But at the early hours of my gym, there is a specific crowd. They are all over 50, they come to the gym everyday and they LOVE to talk. There's The Cougar who must talk to everyone. About herself. She will get you to talk about her, to her. She enjoys staring at herself and even says so. ("Well you know, I'm a mirror whore.") Her early morning workout is her social hour. It's so annoying, it hurts. There's The Complainer. It doesn't matter what the temperature is, it's part of her routine to complain about it to management. The Enabler of The Cougar. The Male Ex-Dancer Who Does a Ballet Bar in the Middle of the Gym Wearing Only a Singlet. One bright, painful, morning the whole gang was there. As I worked through my series of exercises their conversation started like a round of Row, Row, Row Your Boat with a new voice coming in with each repeat.

"How can you do that? You're amazing!"

"Oh it's nothing, you're amazing!"

"But you look wonderful!"

"No, YOU look wonderful!"

And suddenly the whole gang was going round and round telling each other how wonderful they were and they went on and on and on. Even the guy in the singlet. They were so happy. And I got it. It's part of their early morning gym routine and it's brilliant. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a bit of Stuart Smalley to go along with your morning cup of coffee? Wouldn't that make each day a little better?

"Goodmorning Annie! You're wonderful!"

"Aw, you're wonderful!"

"But YOU are AMAZING!"

"Ok!"

So that's not exactly realistic (and we'll say no more about that) but I was quite tickled to blog surf recently and find my ego boost in the form of a little award that several bloggers passed on to me. (Aw shucks, YOU make MY day!) And now it is with much delight that I pass on this gift.


Chemgrrl right back atcha, especially for this post.
Plucky Knitter I want all that yarn.
Ewephoric for making me laugh online and in person.
The Other Side of the Pom you are not a crazy cat lady...yet.
Yarn Bee happy colors always!
MLE so many sweaters, so little time.

To my entire blog roll, truly...you make my day.

*bell hop*

12 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

That was hilarious! What a mental picture you've painted of your gym.

And, awww. Thank you! You make my day too!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Allegra said...

Yeah, my baby is now 5 months and I am feeling the flab. I need to find the time to go to the gym or do pilates...I'm just now finding time to knit!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Penelope said...

awww...shucks...thanks....No, YOU'RE amazing!

Makes me think that maybe if I took the earbuds out of my ears someone would tell me that my biking-knitting gym escapades are amazing....hee hee

10:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

At least your trip to the gym is entertaining!
Stuart Smalley, LOL...

7:08 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

i really miss the gym. i used to go to the one at work all the time. it was nice and chill and so easy, you know? now, i have no gym membership (saving money) and i don't work anymore. sigh. it's good to hear that you're making it out! your gym sounds funny. sounds like you and knitandtonic have the same gym experiences :)

9:58 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Awww, thanks!!

you crack me up girl with your stories from the gym! good for you for making the time. I fell of the wagon a year ago and can't seem to get back on.

10:02 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, I miss my yoga DVDs :) I love that you're still going to the gym despite the annoying crowd. While it makes for funny blog fodder, I can only imagine how your teeth must clench as you work out.

You're wonderful!

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious post! Thanks for cracking me up.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You totally deserve the nomination!

Love Stuart Smalley!

1:14 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

That was THE most fabulous blog post I've ever met. No, really! And you have the bestest ever typing style. It just rocks! And the way you use words--just marvelous! And your links! Fantastic! Especially those. :)

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, YOU are fabulous!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

Awesome post!

Your GSP socks are great, and those photos (with GSP himself) are just amazing! Such fun!

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home