Saturday, March 29, 2008

Knitter's Luck

I have not had much luck with this move. We went into contract when I was in my third trimester and we moved in a week after Cashew's 1st birthday. There have been many phone calls, complaints, bitch sessions, false promises and big letdowns. To finally reach the point where we were packing up boxes was surreal. While the movers hauled our stuff, we happily walked 5 blocks to our new home, ready to start the rest of our life.

As luck would have it, the freight elevator was broken. A little snafu, but we won't let that stop us! And then we discovered the cable line was damaged. The dishwasher stopped washing. The dryer wasn't drying. The phone wasn't ringing. The drains weren't draining.

Socks That Rock "Lagoon"

I was ready to walk out the building (once I found an elevator that worked) and hurl myself into the East River. Ok, not really, my daughter is too cute and my husband too hot and we do love the actual apartment. But I was feeling pretty rotten. And as I did finally get into an elevator that worked, a little bit of my luck changed. No, it's not that I didn't get stuck in the elevator, but I received a piece of mail. My first at the new apartment. A piece of mail from Tiennie. Turns out I had won a little contest, just for commenting on her blog. My first piece of mail was a package containing yarn. Praise the yarn gods! Clearly THEY are looking out for me. Since I had no safe place to put it for a couple of days, I carried the yarn around with me. I didn't have much time to knit, so taking a peek at a skein of yummy, squishy yarn made me happy. That shade of green makes me grin like a goof which is a nice change from the scowl that was making my face cramp. Thank you, Tiennie!

So now that the dishwasher has been fixed, the dryer is humming, the STR getting comfy in my stash (not for long, though), I am ready to take a much needed knitting break. Screw the UFO's, I need to start something new.

L-R: Trekking Pro Natura 1512, Trekking XXL 101, Noro S188, Noro S164, Schaefer Anne

Sit 'n' Knit is having it's second annual secret sock exchange. I have narrowed down my choices. I have a lot of versions of the same thing in my stash, and these are some of the more unique options. Hmm. Which would you choose?

Hey NY peeps! We are selling some furniture and we need to have it gone by Monday at the very latest. See my Craigslist ads here: dining table, couch, chair, medicine cabinet and mirror. Let me know if you're interested!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

StR!!!! Ooh yummy :-) As far as what yarn to use for the exchange I would go with either Noro yarns, they are both gorgeous.

12:31 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Great yarns!
I feel your pain, rebuilding, remodeling, building, all very difficult. Sounds like you are settled though!

7:34 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

what a run of bad luck with this apartment! :( i'm glad to hear that some things are getting back to normal though. does anastasia have her own room now? wish i could take some of your lovely items but my house is already jam packed :) such is life with a baby!

that STR is awesome! can't wait to see what you make with it!

8:05 AM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

all's well that ends well when yarn starts arriving in your new abode! congrats!
:-0

8:24 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

I hope the yarn signifies the turning of your luck!

3:06 PM  
Blogger mle said...

Oooo yes, SRT is the perfect way to brighten your day! Hopefully things can only get better from here!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh. My sympahties dear - I DESPISE moving.

But, yarn can make just about anything better - in my opinion.

: )

9:58 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Sorry for your poopy move. But it was worf it*, right? Nice new, larger space. More room for stash.

Speaking of stash, I think I'd go with the purpley Noro. But that's just me. :)

*long story associated with this, let me know if you want to hear it.

10:37 AM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Good luck in your new home! Hope things keep looking up for you. I think you deserve a new knitting project!

I'd go for the green yarn, because sage green is currently my favourite colour in the whole world, and I can't *wait* to get my mitts on some greeny-grey yarn and knit some lace socks! But maybe you could do with something a little more cheerful, so maybe the copper/red/purple yarn in front? Looks yum.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

New place, new projects!

Oooh wow all exciting choices. I'm using the pro natura now and it's great but that Schaefer Anne looks pretty sweet. I turned the heels on my sock swap socks and proceeded to put them down and start on another pair. I've got the sock bug!

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it's all working out for you now. I'm glad you like the yarn! Thanks for commenting on my blog. :)

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a way to settle into a new place! But congrats on the yarn, I'm glad it came and brightened things up till you got back on track.

As for your swap, I'd vote for one of those glorious Noro skeins.

9:16 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

wow you've really had a run of the bad stuff now haven't you? I'm glad things are turning for the better for you now, you deserve it.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Hilde C. said...

The "Lagoon" yarn looks soooo beautiful. I hope you have more luck with your new apartment
now :-)

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home