Sunday, May 11, 2008

Two for One


A little somethin' somethin' for my Mom for Mother's Day. Although making a gift takes time, it doesn't necessarily keep it from being craptastic. So I worked really hard on the packaging. If you're gonna go handmade, why not go all the way? Adorable (if I do say so myself) crocheted flowers in Brooklyn Handspun Signature in Mocha Rose to decorate the easiest, foolproof (well, almost) handknit gift for my Mom:


Dishcloths. Sugar n' Cream in Ecru. One skein gave me 2 of the 4-Corners Dishcloth. Seriously, my Mom swears by the handknit garter stitch dishcloth. Sure, she may get a kick out of a handknit scarf, she will admire a pair of mittens, she does wear the socks I made (and hello, they are 100% cashmere!) but garter stitch dishcloths. A winner, as long as I don't get too experimental. Hopefully Sugar n' Cream is as good as Peaches n' Cream, and hopefully this style of garter stitch dishcloth is as good as the favored Grandmother's Favorite Dishcloth. The truth will come out in the wash. If these are wrecked within a couple of weeks, I know she loves them. Nicely folded in a drawer...wah wah wah.


Oh but look! Happy Mother's Day to me! I have a fantastic stash, but I had an extra 20 minutes and I was near Knitty City and well it is Mother's Day and I am a Mom. Schaefer Andrea in "Dian Fossey".

Uh, behind the lovely green blob? You saw that, eh?



Yah. Schaefer Andrea in "Julia Child". It's also my birthday. Hooray!

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger mames said...

happy both days to you, mama and bday girl. looks like you are well taken care of.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Shameka said...

Happy Birthday, and Happy Mother's Day too!!! The gifts look superb!! Both given and received!!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

You are a sweetheart for making your mother dishcloths she will love, and the packaging is perfect!!!

Congrats on your new yarns. If I could steal them right off the screen, I would--they are luscious.

6:06 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Happy birthday and mother's day...late :) The new yarns are lovely, and your packaging is beautiful!

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, and Happy Mother's Day!! Beautiful new yarns, and those crocheted flowers are just gorgeous, perfect touch!

10:05 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Happy berfday! And happy mommy's day, too.

10:28 AM  
Blogger annmarie said...

well done! and belated happy birthday and mother's day wishes! :)

1:20 PM  
Blogger mle said...

Oh those are lovely treats! Happy Mother's Day!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Happy birthday and mother's day, Annie!

7:59 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

what a lovely gift for your mother! happy mother's day and birthday!

8:50 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Belated birthday and mothers day wishes too you. I reckon your Mum is going to love her cloths to shreds, and you did good on the yarn purchases too, pretty.

10:06 AM  
Blogger nicolina said...

ah dishclothes. i burned one last night but promised the roomies i knit new ones. it was rather entertaining

1:53 PM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

Happy birthday!

The washcloths and crocheted flowers are lovely : )

I can attest to the Schaefer Andrea (in Dian Fossey!) being great to work with! Great choices.

1:05 AM  
Blogger lobstah said...

The crocheted roses are so adorable! There is something about knit/crochet flowers that makes me want to squeee!

The dishcloths look great too, a very sensible-looking pattern. I hope they see lots of use.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Happy
Love the cloths (beautiful,)Loved the package (delightful) but especially Love You. : )
You are a wonderful daughter...and now a more-than-wonderful Mom, too.
MOM
The Yarn is gorgeous. What are you going to make?

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home