Friday, April 07, 2006

Sock Happy


I feel the need to write about socks. I never truly realized how cool it is to knit socks. The yarns are amazing, the patterns are interesting and they are actually pretty damn comfortable. So last night I dug through a couple past issues of Interweave Knits and started planning my sock projects.


This Artyarns Ultramerino will become Padded Footlets as designed by Mary Snyder. You can see a picture of them here.


These balls of Lorna's Laces in Cranberry will also become Padded Footlets. In fact, they will probably become Padded Footlets first because they will be a gift.



I have been holding on to this Koigu for awhile, waiting for a special project. And then yesterday I came across this post from KnittingSpaz and I was inspired. Turns out I have Winter 2005 issue of Interweave Knits, so this Koigu will become Embossed Leaves Socks as knit by Mona Scmidt. You can see the IK picture here.



I actually have no idea what I am going to make with these. I picked up this Katia Mississippi (60% cotton, 40% acrylic) during my recent trip to L.A. Perhaps Falling Leaves? I really want to make them...


Oh my poor Lorna's Laces. I tried making Jaywalker's with them but they were horribly ugly. Perhaps this yarn will have to turn into simple socks. Speaking of simple...

I have never made socks with true self-striping yarn. I have also never knit with Knit Picks yarn. So what the hell, kill two birds with one stone. So what to make? How will these look as Jaywalker's? And speaking of Jaywalker's...


Despite knitting for 5 hours straight on my flight to L.A. (slept on the red-eye back home) I am only at the foots. Someday, another finished project will appear on the blog.

Now, on to the trivia questions from Flash Your Stash - Annie Style.

Jennifer Beals' dance double was Marine Jahan, though she did not get credit at the time. In the final dance sequence, (the audition) she actually had 3 dance doubles. (Very close, Hila!) Marine Jahan did the technical dancing, Richard Colon "Crazy Legs" did the breakdancing, well spinning on his back, and Sharon Schapiro did the acrobatic bits. And yes Karen, you are correct. Jennifer was actually good at welding, but the director wanted more sparks so she welded like crap.

I'm off to knit socks...

8 Comments:

Blogger Knittypants said...

I have been matching my yarn to patterns lately, too. I like having little knit kits ready to go in my stash.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

I knit my very first socks in Vineyard Simple Stripes! I loved it (not that I had any basis for comparison). Here's a picture:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1496/2132/1600/socks2.jpg

4:04 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

So cool pyewacket! Thanks for sharing. I'm psyched to try out that yarn.

4:10 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

Oh boy! So many lovely sock yarns and so little time! I am beginning to feel the pressure to sock it. (not that anyone has said anything...
:-)

6:51 AM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

I've caught the sock bug as well! It's like a mid-life affair w/out the sneaking around. I'm going to take a page from your book and match my sock yarn to specific patterns--gotta find all my back issues of IK. And to think I used to roll my eyes skip over their sock patterns!

10:15 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

I've resisted sock knitting for a long time, but photos like yours have worn down my resistance :) I love your Jaywalkers!

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not really a "sock knitter," myself . But whatever, I LOVE pics of yarn. It may be a little weird, but I could look at yarn all day. The colors you've picked out are great!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hey, if you end up doing the falling leaves pattern with katia, let me know. I'm still not so great at matching pattern to yarn (especially sock yarn) and it would be cool to find something to do with mine, too.

See you soon (I'll bring the fixation!)

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home