Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Too Darn Cute


Presenting the Lacy Bonnet from Knitting for Two by Erika Knight. I made it as a gift for a friend who is due in March, a week after me! The bow looks ridiculously large in this photo, but no instructions were included for how big or small they should be, so hopefully it will be okay. Perhaps they look so big because there is no baby to fill out the hat yet? I suck at tying bows and it took me longer to figure them out than it did to knit the thing.


I used Rowan Wool Cotton in Tender, which the pattern called for. It says that you will need 2 balls, but I found that I used less than one. I used the recommended needle size but came under gauge and therefore the hat is a little smaller, probably 3-6 months instead of 6-9. Next time I will go up in needle size. Typically I always have to go up, but since this was my first time knitting this hat, and I uh, didn't really check my gauge...which I totally should have since it was my first time knitting this hat...whatever...


Instead of sewing the bows to the hat, I sewed little buttons on the ribbon. I then buttoned the "earmuffs" using one of the eyelets as a buttonhole. That should help keep the hat washable, and give Mom an option in case the bows are indeed gargantuan.

Overall it was a quick and fun knit. I will definitely make it again!

8 Comments:

Blogger schrodinger said...

The bonnet is sooooo cute! Gotta agree that the bows look big in the pictures, but I'm sure the baby head in there will help them look smaller.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

What a sweet hat!

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adorable! I love the bows, I wouldn't worry about the size.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really adorable.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

I want one of those for myself! That baby will look like a yummy truffle from Maison de Chocolat. Bonne Noel! And I LOVE the 'knitted' cookies--what a clever idea.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Hilde C. said...

What a beautiful little hat. I'm sure mother and baby will be very pleased with the present :-)

6:16 AM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Oh, that hat is so sweet! I might need to hunt out that book!

2:18 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, how adorable. I love that pattern, but I've never bothered with the ribbon roses. Yours are impressive!

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home