Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Decent Dishcloth


My goal for Memorial Day Weekend was to finish the Baby Shrug and finish section 11 of Curlicue. June is well, here, and I have a plan. This plan did not include the Baby Shrug and Curlicue so I have some editing to do for my plan. Dishcloths were also not a part of the plan, any plan, for that matter. But while in Michigan I saw my mom's ripped up and worn out dishcloth and I thought hmmm, I know what to do for a thank you gift.


There is one handknit that my mom likes more than any other handknit, and that is the basic garter stitch dishcloth. All my life she has used these and swears by them. I learned the pattern as a kid, but in the 20+ years I have been knitting, I haven't made her any since. The ones she had left were crap, so a trip to Walmart and for less than $3 I had two balls of Peaches & Cream cotton. I whipped out two dishcloths and left them hanging in the (Finnish) bird feeders outside. When she finally saw them, she practically jumped for joy. "I can't find these anywhere!" Hey, what happened to the church craft fairs with all the knitting grannies and their dishcloths?

20 years of knitting. A taste for fancy shmancy yarns. $3 at Walmart. Sheesh, Christmas is so easy this year.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Liz K. said...

OK, I now officially in love with all things Finnish!

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring Liz K. home! : )
MOM

9:57 AM  
Blogger Wannabe said...

Yup, I use these and knit them for me too. I love them...they hold up so nicely.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Harlem Purl said...

That's why I always keep a couple of spare skeins of cotton in my stash. It's wonderful for last minute gifts.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's exactly what my grandma wants me to knit her, too. I am staying with her for two weeks in June, so maybe I need to make my own thankyou gift for her.

7:44 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

got to give them what they want so they'll use them! cute shots!
chanting for no rain...

9:08 PM  
Blogger mames said...

well, seeing as warshclothes are all i di now i am glad i found your blog and this cool pattern. love the p&c yarn, coolest colors around.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home