Thursday, May 31, 2007

Finnish Feet


This past Memorial Day Weekend, Hotty Hubby, Cashew and I took our first trip to Michigan. Most of my family still lives in the U.P. (Yah, eh!). It was such a nice change of pace to be around trees instead of buildings! We stayed at my parents cottage and the cottage is Finnish. Everything in it is from Finland. Everything. The furniture, the dishes, the towels, even the toothpaste. Both my parents are part Finnish, but it has really been something for my mom to travel to Finland and find the other half of her family that did not come to America. So the cottage is a storybook of all her trips and a little bit...a lotta bit... of Finland. And of course, a fiber enthusiasts dream house. In our bathroom we found these socks handknit by our relative Helga who is 89 years old. Knowing my mom, they were for decoration, as much as she appreciates handknits, she doesn't really wear them.


The first morning we walk downstairs to a table set with all of Finland's finest and my mom says "Did you see your socks?" And we said "Yes", "Aren't they nice" and "We won't spill anything on them". And she says "Do you have them on?" Uh... then she shows me her feet. She has on her socks made by Helga. Helga has her special cuff which is a little wide which my mom says is very inviting. I got a kick out of that and being the knitter that I am, gave them a full inspection to see what exactly Helga did. (I think I figured it out and am saving the info for a pair of socks that I am going to knit...soonish...)


So then my Dad comes in and whaddyaknow, he has a pair of Helga Socks, too. Well you don't have to twist my arm, I don't need to tell you that I'm all for handknit socks! What a great idea to have a couple pairs for guests. We can all shuffle around with our Finnish Feet, enjoying coffee and pullah and a breeze off the lake.


Suits me just fine!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Liz K. said...

Aw, man, I wish I had an Aunt Helga! Those socks are lovely, especially for those cool Yooper nights. I'm sure your parents loved seeing the baby!

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwwe Cashew. I love it. Helga socks rock! That cottage rocks! Looks exactly like somewhere I need to go for a vacation! I do believe in the book Folk Knitting in Estonia, there is a pattern called Helga socks, or it may be gloves. Reminds me a little of the socks your mom has on.

Necia

11:05 AM  
Blogger Harlem Purl said...

I always love a good sock story with my morning Java. Thanks!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

What a great idea! Sounds like my kind of house :)

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, fun! Now I want to have an Aunt Helga, too. And your mom is great making a little Finnish retreat.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Penelope said...

What an idyllic time! The socks, the water, the light. Yay!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Hilde C. said...

It looks like a beautiful place, especially with all the socks. I'm sure Helga would appreciate to learn that you've got the sock knitting gene too :-)

7:27 PM  
Blogger Elinor said...

lol. that's a great story. you should knit some socks for Helga!! knitter to knitter exchange!

8:00 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Aw, what a great story! I love Helga's socks, and I love the idea of having socks around for guests!

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suomi Socks Forever!

I do TO wear handknits. ah hem...my aubergine scarf.

It was So fun to read your blog. Love it...and You.
SISU Socks In Style United.
MOM

8:57 PM  
Blogger nicolina said...

i just my show up on mom's doorstep. that view and socks to boot. score!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

I stumbled across your site and I'm loving it! Those socks rock! And the cottage is gorgeous. My boyfriend is a Finn ... I'm gonna need to learn me how to knit those AuntHelga socks!

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home