Sunday, June 08, 2008

June

I can't believe June is here. Where did spring go and how did it fly by? Technically I guess it is not summer yet, though the heatwave sends a warning that it is on its way. June has been a nice time for me to get my act together. Last year it was the month that I worked out a new routine with my new baby. Now I (finally) have a new apartment and a fun summer to look forward to. So I have started this June with a little spring cleaning - better late than never.

I find cleaning works best from the closets out. Even though we downsized before moving, we still have boxes of random stuff in random places and it is starting to spill out into our living areas. If I want time to be crafty, I have to be organized, so straight to the guts - the closets. So exhausting going through memorabilia, gear we don't know if we still want, photo projects not done, medication for the cat no longer with us. Oye.


A nice find was a box labeled "winter". In it I found all my fingerless mitts, scarves, gloves and in particular, two items that have previously never made it to the blog...or ravelry...or flickr... I made this cowl about three years ago. It's the Pashmina Cowl from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. I used Araucania Nature Wool. I wore it a couple times and completely forgot about it. Cowls seem to be making quite a comeback so after a refreshing wash I packed it back up but placed it on top of all the other woolly gear. Next fall when I am cold and pulling down this box I will see it first thing and will wear it.


Also in the box is something I have not forgotten. In fact, to many of you it may look very familiar. In fact, you may wonder if I have any other scarves at all because I practically wear this every day in winter. For the last four winters! It is simple garter stitch made with Morehouse Merino bought at the Union Square Green Market when Morehouse used to sell there. I had knit this scarf one spring many years ago as mindless project to help me get through a summer job. It is by far the item in my collection of handknits that gets the most compliments. A simple scarf made out of pretty yarn. The scarf has not pilled or faded which I find very impressive for a super soft single ply.

I love that the simplest knits can be the most pretty.

6 Comments:

Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, lovely cowl and scarf! I have gotten more compliments on a ridiculously easy scarf from Exquisite Little Knits than I have on all the complicated stuff I've made. Frustrating, actually :) I can see why you always get compliments on your scarf. The colors are gorgeous and it looks so soft.

Yay for cleaning. I have the spring cleaning bug (late, but whatever), so we just dusted off all the disgusting ceiling fan blades. My problem is that I get overwhelmed by the sheer number of tasks to be done. I'll have to consider your closets-out approach and maybe take it one room at a time. One clean room is better than no clean rooms, right?

8:59 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

OMG that wool is making me hot. Take it off now.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really were ahead of the game on the cowl! It's lovely. And I've said it before and I'll say it many many times in the future: I LOVE the garter scarf. I love that the colors change with every single row. It's perfect.

10:29 AM  
Blogger nicolina said...

so it was like christmas! opening a box and "ooh, i forgot i had YOU!"

12:54 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Cleaning can bring so many surprises - and it's great when they are such good surprises. I love both the cowl and scarf. Great to hear that some kind of routine is possible again... one day.

9:38 PM  
Blogger mikes wallets said...

hi auntie its mike those things you make are awesome!!!!!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home