Sunday, August 24, 2008

Olympic Dreams


I appreciate challenges and competition. I love the Knitting Olympics. I was psyched to give myself the challenge of knitting an entire sweater in 17 days. I decided to give my Drops 103-1 Jacket another go, knowing that the time crunch was the major part of my challenge, not so much the miles of stockinette. At the end of it all, I would have a gold medal as well as a beautiful sweater that I had made. Well that's just freakin' fantastic.

I worked hard! I knit in the morning, I knit while boiling water, I knit while watching the Olympics at night. It was very challenging - soon after the Olympics began, my babysitter went on vacation. Soon after that, the Annie Knits family left for vacation. It was craziness but progress was being made on my jacket and the end was in sight. Every spare moment was filled with a row of knitting. Upon arriving at our vacation destination I looked forward to lounging on a beach chair and finishing up the last of the sleeves of my sweater and seaming everything in time for the closing ceremonies. What a way to celebrate - Olympic gold on the beach in Bermuda. Our first day on vacation, I open my knitting bag and pull out all my accoutrement. Needles, blocking pins, buttons, extra stitch markers, kitty tape measure.... No yarn. No yarn! I forgot to pack the 3 skeins needed to finish up the sleeves and seaming. Well that's just freakin' craptastic.

There's always Vancouver...

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger spajonas said...

oh no!!! :( that's sad! you were so close to finishing. i hope you'll pick it back up when you get home. enjoy the vacation in the meantime!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Harlem Purl said...

Murphys Law at work. That totally sounds like something I would do.

6:08 PM  
Blogger jennifer said...

So heartbreaking! I think you should be able to count the Paralympics too. In that case, you're still in the game!

7:53 PM  
Blogger mle said...

Doh!
I hope you enjoyed your vacation anyway!

8:48 AM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, that's so something I would do (and in fact, have done). There's nothing like the sinking feeling when you realize you lack something necessary for your knitting. And for the Olympics!

It'll be lovely no matter when you finish it!

8:58 AM  
Blogger annmarie said...

maybe it's something in the nyc air this summer. my son was convinced he had packed everything, everything, yes, ma, everything for his trip back to college. I was just arriving back in the city after driving him up when my cellphone rang. Next day found me at the UPS store, paying $55 to send him the stuff he was sure he had packed. :/
take heart. even with all my yarn right here, I somehow managed to miss the finish line.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Oh, so that's what that agonized scream was....

hope you had a good vacation anyway!

6:25 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Oh Nooooo! That sucks. Hope you manage to enjoy your vacation anyway :)

3:22 PM  
Blogger nicolina said...

yeah, i've packed my knitpicks options needles before with only one needle tip. yeah, un fun!

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely found your blog to be
so interesting that I have been on
here for quite awhile and liked all
of the interesting things on it, now I want to refer it to a few of
my friends. Thank you so much!

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home