Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Curlicue Query


I'd like to finish this blanket before the baby comes so I finally cast on. (No, the scarves aren't done, but progress is made daily...though little side projects keep creeping up. Of course.) I have read some grumbling about the Curlicue Coverlet, but the majority seem to think the pattern is fine, just pay attention. One modification I am following is to do a provisional cast on so that there is no seaming, just a nice 3 needle bind off at the end. That works very well for me!


So here is my first issue. The first section is quite easy to do. Some short rows and wrapped stitches, not my favorite aesthetically. They are always loose, and there's that whole lift up the wrap and knit it with the stitch thing. I want to make sure that when it is time to knit these wrapped stitches, it's very clean. Any recommendations, since these stitches are more loose? Is it enough, truly, to knit the wrap with the stitch? Should I also knit through the back loop of the live stitch? Suggestions welcome!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Harlem Purl said...

I find the best way to work short rows is to mess with the wraps as little as possible. The snugger the fit the better becaus eit completely hides the stitch int he end (in my opinion). During socktoberfest, I had read this great way to pick up the wrap on someones blog but of course I can't find the lin knwo so I'll try and walk you through the steps.

1- put your right needle in the wrap from bottom to top (try not to stretch it too much)

2- knit the wrapped stitch and take off left needle (now you shoudl have the stitch just worked and the wrap righ tnext to it on yoru right needle.)

3- with your right needle, pass the wrapped over the worked stitch as if you were doing a psso.

And that's basically it. I find that this keeps it looking neat even if the stitches are a little loose (which mine always are ont he knit side of short rows)

I know I wrote a lot but I hope this helps. Nic eblanket by the way, and I'm glad you finally found the "perfect" yarn.

12:12 PM  
Blogger allisonmariecat said...

It's looking just lovely. Harlem Purl's method is the one I would recommend. I was never very good at short rows, and they turned out much better for me that way.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that harlem purl covered it, I find the psso method neatest, misocrafty has a nice picture tutorial: http://misocrafty.squarespace.com/journal/2006/9/21/short-row-heel-tutorial.html although it's for the short-row heel, but I think it would apply for this too.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the stitches look perfect to me!

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home